Skip to main content

Day 58 Kirknewton to Linlithgow

The beginning of today's walk was Kirknewton railway station and followed some lanes and larger roads out of Kirknewton towards the outskirts of Livingston. Me and Alfie walked for about 2 miles before turning back and Garry pressed on in the sun.

  
Soon after Pumperston, Garry walked under the M8 as he continued his urban walk. 
I headed to Linlithgow, stopping first at Beecraigs Country Park to grab a coffee but there were no car parking spaces close to the Visitor Centre for me to leave Alfie. I then drove into Linlithgow, as Garry only had 4 or 5 miles to go. It it was hard to find anywhere to park, so I found a Tesco car park to wait in. 

After a while, Garry messaged to say he had to re-route, roads were too busy and some  footpaths closed and it would be longer than planned. I drove back to Beecraigs Country Park, took Alfie to grab a coffee, but no dogs allowed and no takeaway window. We sat on a bench, trying to relax in the sun, but Allfie pulled me over to the bins where he threw up.

Whilst I was sitting in various car parks and watching a whippet throw up, Garry saw some interesting things, a sculpture and a stone circle in Knock, and a loch.





We went back to the car to wait for Garry, Alfie sat in the sun and finally drank and ate a little.

Garry found the car after his detour and headed off to walk the final section into Linlithgow.

                                   

What should have been an 11 mile walk, ended up being over 15, due to closed footpaths. 


Tomorrow is the start of the Union Canal.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

  A month after our return, we look back at the perceived simplicity of life during the walk. Walking, eating, sleeping and enjoying our ever-changing surroundings.  Would we recommend it? You bet we would!

Day 86 Nybster to John o'Groats (The final day!)

                                                      Lands End to John o'Groats complete! Winding back to yesterday evening, Garry and I had a stroll around Wick harbour.        Much later in the evening, a surprise visitor, Will, arrived in Wick after 15 hours of train travel from London. I've never seen Garry so surprised! A later night than originally planned before the final walking day! This morning, I dropped Garry and Will at Nybster where they began walking northwards along the A99. Me and Alfie headed to park up at John o'Groats.       We met in John O'Groats village and walked together to Duncansby Head, which is the true north easterly point of mainland UK, with some incredible sea stacks. It was pretty windy there!        From Duncansby Head, we walked back towards John O'Groats vil...

One week to go...

We have one week to go before we start walking so we have started thinking about packing the essentials. Compead plasters and comfy worn in walking shoes has been the major advice. This week there have been doubts creeping in. 'Can we really do this?' However,  Garry spoke with his postie friends at cricket this week who have reassured him that a day's walking is all in a day's work for them, carrying a bag up to 10kg over their shoulder. So we're perfectly reassured now! We've had some walks these last few weeks with and without friends.            Also we've practised eating  some extra carbs (although I'm not sure cakes are the best sort of carb to be eating!   We welcome any more tips....