Skip to main content

Day 28a Little Haywood to Abbots Bromley - should've been a rest day!

 

Today your regular blogger is having a rest from her duties so I (Garry) am writing instead, I hope it reaches the required/expected standard! 😓

It was meant to be a rest day today but we decided to finish off the walk that we didn't quite complete yesterday. It was a 7 miler from Little Haywood to Abbots Bromley.

I walked along the Trent and Mersey canal for a couple of miles to start with which was good, there were quite a few narrow boats around and most of the people were friendly. I stopped on a bridge to take a photo of one but despite my best efforts they wouldn't wave or smile (I think it was because I'd just overtaken them on foot).




After crossing a railway I re-joined the Staffordshire Way, this was useful as these long distance paths are usually well marked and well used so easy to follow. This proved to be the case as I made my way through a couple small, pretty villages (with a little stop for my lunch by a pond) and some cropped fields. 

I was hoping to walk across the dam at the end of Blithfield Reservoir but there was no way through. Probably for the best as there was a small sewage works there and lots of obstacles. Instead I followed the Staffordshire Way in a small loop passed some fields with sheep and cows (all very well behaved for a change).

I met Marie and Alfie at the east end of the reservoir dam and we walked towards Abbots Bromley. We stopped at a cafe on the way for another lunch and a casual walk into Abbots Bromley.

                 


 

Whilst I was walking Marie and Alfie had explored Abbots Bromley and enjoyed a peaceful morning, before meeting me! She even saw a miniature palomino pony.

        


 

 

Tomorrow we intend to walk from Abbots Bromley to Uttoxeter (7 miles) and maybe a little further if we feel like it.

Thanks very much for all the support you've been giving us on our travels, through walking with us and also online, its means a lot to both of us (Alfie couldn't care less 😄) Thanks also to Marie for her help with the driving and the general organising, couldn't do this without her.

Garry





Comments

  1. An excellent blog, Garry. Well up to Marie's high standard. Much more sensible distances these last couple of days - leaving time for sightseeing and coffee stops! You 'll soon be heading up to the lovely Peak District. Will you be walking up Dovedale or do you head more north east?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Veg, it took longer to sort out than I'd expected.
    We are walking through Dovedale, looking forward to it as i've heard its very nice.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

  A month after our return, we look back at the perceived simplicity of life during the walk. Walking, eating, sleeping and enjoying our ever-changing surroundings.  Would we recommend it? You bet we would!

Day 86 Nybster to John o'Groats (The final day!)

                                                      Lands End to John o'Groats complete! Winding back to yesterday evening, Garry and I had a stroll around Wick harbour.        Much later in the evening, a surprise visitor, Will, arrived in Wick after 15 hours of train travel from London. I've never seen Garry so surprised! A later night than originally planned before the final walking day! This morning, I dropped Garry and Will at Nybster where they began walking northwards along the A99. Me and Alfie headed to park up at John o'Groats.       We met in John O'Groats village and walked together to Duncansby Head, which is the true north easterly point of mainland UK, with some incredible sea stacks. It was pretty windy there!        From Duncansby Head, we walked back towards John O'Groats vil...

One week to go...

We have one week to go before we start walking so we have started thinking about packing the essentials. Compead plasters and comfy worn in walking shoes has been the major advice. This week there have been doubts creeping in. 'Can we really do this?' However,  Garry spoke with his postie friends at cricket this week who have reassured him that a day's walking is all in a day's work for them, carrying a bag up to 10kg over their shoulder. So we're perfectly reassured now! We've had some walks these last few weeks with and without friends.            Also we've practised eating  some extra carbs (although I'm not sure cakes are the best sort of carb to be eating!   We welcome any more tips....